Thursday, March 1, 2012

Dry Time



We're coming into the part of the year that, in my youth, I'd always considered the onset of springtime...until more recently that is. It's March 1st today.

Before the days of global warming, there was a time many years ago in the city where I live, that the month of March meant the riddance of snow, greener grass, and maybe a bloom or two- or buds on the trees, to show that spring had arrived. But now, thanks to our depleted ozone layer and greenhouse gases, the month of March in Alberta means winter is about to arrive with a vengeance. We can usually count on our annual "spring storm" .. a wet heavy snowfall that usually comes just in time to screw up any fun plans you may have had for St. Patrick's day. It shuts the city down for a day or two and then melts just as quickly and forcefully as it arrived, which generates flooding in certain parts of the province. More snow usually follows, by the foot, and the grass doesn't start to get green up with tulip bulbs rearing up to catch the sunlight until sometime around.. oh I don't know - let's say Mid May.

So just when you think that you have come around the corner of winter and milder times are just around the bend, whack. And so comes the onslaught. More waiting for those joyous signs of spring.

This is kind of how I feel about Duran Duran right now. They are spending time overseas, touring and such in South America and Asia, and I'm seeing Facebook and Twitter posts about concert dates upcoming. And I'm feeling as though I'm waiting for the thaw, while my cohorts on the other side of the world are in full bloom. To draw a different comparison, I would say it's like being an alcoholic while being surrounded by people that can drink whatever they want.. I'm in the biggest, most well stocked bar in the world, and I'm in "dry time".

Dry time was once explained to me as this: While you are trying to "kick your habit", you are still surrounding yourself with the people and things that support your addiction. So while I'm trying to think about things that are not associated with Duran, i.e. ) touring, Roger, front row, backstage, blah blah blah, I'm surrounding myself with sources of information that are feeding me nothing but. And between John and Simon tweeting their butts off and announcements coming regularly, I'm feeling my Duran itch start to twitch. Hell, it's only been since December and I feel somehow deprived. Has this addiction become an obsession? At what point do I acknowledge my desire for all things Duran has gone too far?

I also fully admit that it's also got something to do with my decision to pass on Coachella Festival this year. It's a mere month and a half away and the fact that I'm missing 2012 is making me ache in my bones. I didn't have the money or the vacation time available to justify it, and now I'm feeling like the greatest party in the world is about to happen - and a grade 7 girl that was the only one to not get an invitation to the birthday party. Yes - it's a choice I'm making for my own reasons, but I've become so engrossed in these things that I'm finding it hard to let it go.

So I'll confess. I'm jealous. I'm jealous of the friends I know that are going to Coachella, the tweeps and Facebook peeps that have tickets to the overseas shows and are getting out there to see the boys. As happy for them as I can be that they get to have their share, I am, in the famous words of Oliver Twist, holding up the empty bowl of gruel, and begging, "I want some more".

There wasn't really much more point to this blog other than to bitch and whine. My apologies if you had expected something more.

TG





No comments:

Post a Comment